Tuesday 22 January 2008

Some knittings

These dark winter days have driven me to knitting again. There's something cosy about it... knitting socks while it's sleeting outside. I found this great quotation somewhere, don't remember where anymore, but anyway, it's a good one:

"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either. When I say properly practiced, I mean executed in a relaxed manner, without anxiety, strain or tension, but with confidence, inventiveness, pleasure, and ultimate pride."

-Elizabeth Zimmermann, "Knitting without tears"

I'm sometimes too lazy to read the instructions before I start knitting something. And it easily leads to tension and stress and unraveling the whole thing. Now I should know better and try practicing knitting properly!


A properly knitted sock. Well, at least I'm taking some good tips from the book.


A beret, which wasn't knitted that properly. I didn't measure it, and because I didn't use the same kind of yarns that was recommended, it is now too small for my head. But I like the pattern so maybe I'll try to knit a new one.

The pale model here is a plaster head I've found from a litter bin. She had splatters of red paint all over, and even after several washes and scrubbings, she still has some marks left. In case you were wondering...


No comments: